- Vertically Integrated Manufacturing
- Design and Engineering Services
- Design for Manufacturability & Assembly
- Prototyping and Concurrent Engineering
- Diamond Point Turning
- Metal Fabrication
- Optical Systems Fabrication
- Sapphire Domes
- Germanium Optics
- Thin Film Coatings
- Opto-Electronic/Opto-Mechanical Assembly
- Testing and Qualification
- Disciplined Program Management
- Branded Products
In-house Metal Fabrication
Raytheon ELCAN has an in-house metal fabrication department that is North America’s most advanced, high capacity CNC metal machining facility. It allows us to handle complete end-to-end fabrication for even the most complex optical assemblies. Metal Fabrication at ELCAN is located in over a 30,000 square foot area.
Once the Prototype Toolroom has built several prototypes to finalize the design, the design and fixtures are turned over to the Machine Shop where they are produced in large quantities. Raytheon ELCAN machines castings and non-rotationally symmetric parts as well as rotationally symmetric parts from rod or tube.
The surfaces of metal parts are finished so that they are protected from outside damage or to fulfill the design requirements.
There are several types of actual surface treatment.
- Painting – the parts are spray painted in a special paint room.
- Anodizing – aluminum is immersed into an acid electrolyte bath and while an electric current is passed through the medium.
- Hard Anodizing – similar process that is thicker and therefore harder and more durable. Used on housings for ELCAN Branded Products.
- Nickel Plating – both electroplating and electro-less plating are available depending on the application and specifications.
- Copper Plating
- Brass plating.
Surface Treatment capabilities also include:
- Pacifying stainless steel to prevent oxidation.
- Black oxide is a conversion coating for ferrous materials, copper and copper based alloys, zinc, powdered metals, and silver solder. It is used to add mild corrosion resistance and for appearance. This process provides minimal buildup which may be advantageous depending on the application.
- Chromate conversion process on aluminum which acts as protection against corrosion and is also softer and thinner than the other methods of treatment.
- 3D Solid Modelling and Stereolithography